The Club, Past and Present
In the Spring of 1948 two members of St. John Ambulance, both keen photographers, were going to collect a patient somewhere on Exmoor. On their journey conversation naturally turned to photography with the result that a meeting was arranged with others interested in photography and the Minehead and District Photographic Society was formed.

Members’ work consisted entirely of prints, principally monochrome and it was not until 14th December 1956 that an item entitled “Members Slides” appeared on the programme. The 35mm coloured slide rapidly gained popularity and within a few years the number of prints declined.

Audio Visuals were now being produced, slides synchronised with music and narration had arrived.

At the AGM on 17th January 1975 it was agreed to re-brand the Club as the Minehead & District Camera Club and this remains today.

New technologies in recent years have seen a departure from traditional methods of producing photographs. We still cater for slide and darkroom workers, although the majority of members now enjoy producing digital prints and projected images.

Who knows how far our hobby will evolve in the future. The sky is the limit.

Dedicated to our late President, Jack Craske.